Tuesday, March 31, 2009

How I would define a Birthmom

A Birthmom is a young teen or an adult woman that finds herself pregnant when it was not planned and having to soon face one of the hardest decisions she will ever have to make in her life...keep your baby, or place it for adoption.

Birthmothers are not all the same. They come from all walks of life; different ages, ethnicity's, religious backgrounds and financial status's. Some have families that love them, some that don't and some that just don't exist at all. They are intelligent, they are troubled. They are strong and independent, they are lost and frightened. They are angry and elated, confused and informed. There is no simple box or specific category for which to place these women. Each approaching the crossroads of adoption from a different path, each creating a new path with each defining decision they make.

For these girls the decision to abort, parent or make an adoption plan for their child will forever change the path of their lives as well as their child's.

I posted this back in November - but I wanted to post it again. Whether the path of domestic or internationally adoption is chosen, the one common denominator is the birth mother.

To all birth mothers across the US and around the world; thank you for making one of the hardest decisions in your life. Thank you for choosing life. Thank you for carrying a child for nine months, going through the pain of labor, holding the child in your arms and loving the child so much that you did the most unselfish thing you could do. You game this child a chance to live, you gave this child a mommy and daddy, you gave this child hope.

The video below is a song by Mark Schultz who was given up for adoption. It is his tribute to his birth mother and birth mothers around the world.

Thank you for everything

4 comments:

  1. I love that song. I have it on my ipod. Thanks for sharing again. Well said!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. We are in Mesa, AZ. I read this post on birthmothers, and it is so touching. Our daughter is due to be born to her birthmother in the next thirteen or so days, and this post sums up our feelings about her and the wonderful gift she is giving us. Thank you for posting this! Good luck on your journey to create your family; I hope the time goes quickly for all of you. I will keep you in my thoughts.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri, I believe you know that I am a birthmom, not sure though. Anyway...I am sitting her crying a good cry. It has been 20 years since I had Josh and we have been reunited...but my heart still has tears of love for that wonderful gift of love that I shared with him and his parents so many years ago.

    Check out my reunion blogs. They are posted as Mother's Day, and Meetting Josh 1,2,3, etc.

    Thanks for my cry and my heart hug this Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete